- Virginia: Danica Roem – Danica Roem is the first openly transgender lawmaker in America. This female won against an opponent who called himself “Virginia’s chief homophobe”.
- Washington: Patty Murray – Patty Murray is the first female senator that represented Washington.
- West Virginia: Shelley Moore Capito – Shelley Moore Capito is the first woman to represent West Virginia. She previously worked as a member of the House of Representatives from 2000 to 2015.
- Wisconsin: Tammy Baldwin – Tammy was elected as a rep in the US Senate in 2012, being the first woman to represent Wisconsin in the Senate and the first woman who openly admitted to being gay in US history.
- Wyoming: Cynthia Lummis – Cynthia Lummis served in the House of Representatives from 2009 to 2016.
If you enjoyed reading this article about female politicians, we also recommend reading: 11 Countries That Have NO Military